02 May 2008

I am some sort of Futuristic-Alloy-Man!

I was out on what would probably be considered a 'first date' last night (oh, must I qualify every phrase I use?) and ended going to see the new film IronMan. My dating skills are only slightly less honed than my writing skills, so it went, for all I know, pretty well. Anyway, thanks to whatever was going on with the 4 & 6 trains yesterday, my date, Rebecca, and I and two of her friends completely missed the first 20 minutes of the movie (some of her other friends had gotten advance tickets for all of us). Now, generally, seeing the first 20 minutes of a movie is fairly important. It could very well have been the case in this film as well, but I may never find out. For whatever reasons, despite missing the beginning the rest of the movie made complete sense, though it was pretty terrible. I won't lie and say I wasn't entertained, because I actually was very entertained. Not by Robert Downey, Jr. (who is just a creepy guy these days and walks around the entire film with his chest puffed out. It's ridiculous.), no, no, the real star of the show was The Dude...er...Jeff Bridges.

Okay, I'll confess that I've only seen Mr. Bridges in a few roles outside of his masterpiece, The Big Lebowski, but I know he's a versatile actor. That's why I was kinda shocked that he played the entire role of Obadiah Stane as if he were 'The Dude in the role of Obadiah Stane'. I thought it was fucking hilarious. Maybe we'll all look back on this performance in the way we can now see Gina Gershon's role in Showgirls. As is mentioned in the commentary of the box-set edition of that film, Ms. Gershon is the only person in the entire cast who knows what movie she is making. Same goes here for Jeff Bridges in IronMan. What a travesty of a film and what a superb job as The Dude playing an evil weapons manufacturing tycoon. In the words of the big Lebowski, 'You're joking, but maybe you're right.'

3 comments:

Liam said...

On the 10th anniversary of this blog, readers will look back to this post as the first sign heralding its eventual conversion into the full-blown dating blog "The Dating Adventures of Alex Bradshaw"

Alex said...

Fortunately for any readers, there will be no other follow up to this post other than this: I did not hear back from that girl. Sooo, it looks like I'm a better writer than dater. Which doesn't bode well for me at all.

Liam, when is IANAG gonna go 'dating-friendly'?

Liam said...

I just returned from seeing Iron Man and my only complaint is that when the evil Obadiah Stane (aka Jeff Bridges) shows up unexpectedly at Tony Stark's Malibu mansion, Tony doesn't say something like "I thought I told you to stay the fuck out of here" or something along those lines...